Before you get too excited and expect a sweet, loving anecdote, I should warn you that my original title for today was The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad, Valentine's Day. After processing today's events, I realized that title was probably a little harsh and ruins my generally optimistic nature; however, the original title does capture my true feelings for a few hours anyway.
We loaded all of our goodies into the van and headed to school as usual. Both kids were so excited about their parties. Hannah didn't really understand; she just gets excited whenever Hunter does. They both had a blast at school and brought home lots of fun, sweet trinkets from their morning. We ate lunch complete with heart lollipops for dessert followed by great naps (for them not me).
After naps, we headed out to run a few errands; that's when all the fun began! We were about three miles from the house in the turning lane on a major street when my 18 month old van lurches, jerks, and simply stops. Completely unsure of what just happened, I started to panic. I shifted to park then back to drive and accelerated - still nothing. Realizing that I wasn't going anywhere, I turned on the hazards, found the number for roadside assistance, and requested a tow truck only to learn that the tow truck will take at least an hour.
Even though Pete happened to be in town today, he was still across the river and I couldn't get in touch with anyone else. Pete still had to catch the ferry to his truck to come get us. Needless to say we spent over an hour sitting in our van on this major street while the tremendously friendly people in our town honked, yelled crude comments, shared repulsive hand gestures, and attempted to run us over. Not one motorist stopped to offer any assistance. Three police officers passed without even a glance in our direction; a fourth actually pulled up behind me, asked what I was doing, then said since the tow truck was en route I would be safe until it arrived and he left. Simply Amazing!!!
Finally the tow truck arrives, begins to connect the chains to the van when I ask the guy what about my kids inside the van. He says, "Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that. You'll have to get them out!" Really?? I hadn't thought about that. My question: "Where I am going to take them?" After all, I'm in the turning lane of a major road with a median dividing the six lanes of traffic - not exactly the ideal play area. Seriously, what are my options here? So we wait for Pete who arrives a short time later. We cross three lanes of traffic with two small children and two car seats - quite a sight!
We arrive at the dealership (that's an even longer yet similarly unbelievable story), get a rental, head home for a late, easy dinner, and call it a night. It's definitely a Valentine's I'll remember for years to come.
In retrospect, today could have been much worse, but that was a concept far beyond my comprehension while in the middle of the whole ordeal. We are blessed and I am genuinely thankful!
We loaded all of our goodies into the van and headed to school as usual. Both kids were so excited about their parties. Hannah didn't really understand; she just gets excited whenever Hunter does. They both had a blast at school and brought home lots of fun, sweet trinkets from their morning. We ate lunch complete with heart lollipops for dessert followed by great naps (for them not me).
After naps, we headed out to run a few errands; that's when all the fun began! We were about three miles from the house in the turning lane on a major street when my 18 month old van lurches, jerks, and simply stops. Completely unsure of what just happened, I started to panic. I shifted to park then back to drive and accelerated - still nothing. Realizing that I wasn't going anywhere, I turned on the hazards, found the number for roadside assistance, and requested a tow truck only to learn that the tow truck will take at least an hour.
Even though Pete happened to be in town today, he was still across the river and I couldn't get in touch with anyone else. Pete still had to catch the ferry to his truck to come get us. Needless to say we spent over an hour sitting in our van on this major street while the tremendously friendly people in our town honked, yelled crude comments, shared repulsive hand gestures, and attempted to run us over. Not one motorist stopped to offer any assistance. Three police officers passed without even a glance in our direction; a fourth actually pulled up behind me, asked what I was doing, then said since the tow truck was en route I would be safe until it arrived and he left. Simply Amazing!!!
Finally the tow truck arrives, begins to connect the chains to the van when I ask the guy what about my kids inside the van. He says, "Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that. You'll have to get them out!" Really?? I hadn't thought about that. My question: "Where I am going to take them?" After all, I'm in the turning lane of a major road with a median dividing the six lanes of traffic - not exactly the ideal play area. Seriously, what are my options here? So we wait for Pete who arrives a short time later. We cross three lanes of traffic with two small children and two car seats - quite a sight!
We arrive at the dealership (that's an even longer yet similarly unbelievable story), get a rental, head home for a late, easy dinner, and call it a night. It's definitely a Valentine's I'll remember for years to come.
In retrospect, today could have been much worse, but that was a concept far beyond my comprehension while in the middle of the whole ordeal. We are blessed and I am genuinely thankful!
Hannah's handprint projectHunter's handprint project
The Poem reads,
Thank you God for flowers so grand/This one was made with my two little hands/It's a Valentine Wish from me to you/That says Happy Valentine's Day/To my mommy and daddy too!
Hunter's favorite card
Hannah's personally decorated treat bag
6 comments:
Sometimes, you amaze me! What a way to put a positive spin on the day! I am glad you all made it home safely! Here's hoping today goes much smoother!
That is a horrible Valentine's Day :( I hope your van is fixed soon!
Oh no! I'm so sorry that happend!!!! What an interesting city you live in...I can't believe the police didn't even offer to help!! That's scary!! I'm glad Pete was in town and could come to the rescue!! How romantic. :)
You poor thing. That is actually one of my biggest fears with kids in the car. You handled it like a pro. V-day can only go up from here from now on! Cute projects.
Whoa! What a day - I'm assuming the kids must have behaved amazingly b/c you didn't mention that in your comments - something else to be thankful for, right? Glad you survived your V day!!! Better luck next year! So what happened to the van - lemon?
wow! that is a day to remember! i can't believe no one stopped to help and the police just kept on going! i'm glad Pete could come and help! do you know what's wrong with the van??? you'll have to give us an update. love the projects from the kids. i'm going to have to try those! :)
Post a Comment