The concept of security comforts me and provides me with a sense of safety, though sometimes false. Whether it is our troops protecting me as I go about my daily life or the security guard at Target keeping a watchful eye for potential trouble, I appreciate that someone is there providing me with that sense of safety and security. I've never really thought twice about seeing security personnel anywhere, until yesterday.
Yet again, we found ourselves at the pediatrician's office yesterday afternoon (it's a long story but the summary is something like this: Hannah, ears, fluid, new meds). I signed in as we always do; we went to our usual spot to wait for our turn (realize we've been there 13 times since Dec. 13; roughly once a week - this has become part of our routine), and I noticed a guy wearing a security uniform. My first thought, "He must be here with his son/daughter." I quickly learned otherwise. Someone walked in carrying a Wendy's drink; he asked the boy to throw it away. A woman answered her cell phone in the waiting room; he asked her to step outside or end the call, referencing a sign hanging on the wall. When the seats were filling up, he asked people to rearrange to accomodate new arrivals. Clearly he is here for a reason other than a pediatric appointment.
My mind starts wandering through all the possible scenarios that could have warranted the addition of a security guard; let's just say sometimes my imagination can get the best of me. We were just there last Wednesday, so this is a very new concept. We were seeing a doc that we had never seen before, so I didn't feel like I could just ask him what's up with the new security out there. Instead, I asked one of the office workers what was going on. She didn't elaborate. Her only comment was "You wouldn't believe; it's crazy!" Comforting? - not really!
How did we get to this point in life? I understand the need for security; I welcome security on campus, at the bank, in the mall, at special events, even on base. But seriously, security at the pediatrician's office? Is this to be our new norm? Though the kids don't understand the implications, how sad for them to have to grow up in a time and place when you can't even go doctor without concern. I am thankful that the pediatrician's office recognized a need and implemented safety measures to protect the precious young lives they service - whatever the underlying reason; however, I am left feeling sadly disenchanted with our current surroundings and my own naivete´, hence the security conundrum.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is a very strange place to have security. Maybe next time you see your "real" doc you can get some answers.
It is amazing the things our children have to deal with that we never had to face.
I dealt with tornado drills and fire drills in school as a kid, but this week, Ian is working on INTRUDER drills! I hate that my child has to know what an indruder is in Kindergarten!
on a lighter note, I think it is pretty funny imagining the waiting room with this guy in charge. I am just picturing everyone sitting perfectly straight in their chairs just dying to get out of there and be called back to see the dr!
That's one I've never heard before. You're right though, it is all part of the change in our society. I just pray the extra measure of security from the Lord over these little, innocent ones.
Post a Comment