Monday, August 18, 2008

The Backyard Visitor

First came barking, then came shouting, followed by squealing and lots of giggling, all for one very small, unassuming turtle who was caught somewhere between confusion and fear!

Hunter was ecstatic to find this confused little creature hiding in his backyard. He looked at me and said, "Mommom, I have a turtle. I never had a turtle before! Let's feed him"

Unsure of what turtles actually eat, we decided on carrots - he clearly was too distraught to even think of food!

Hannah was speechless; all she could do was squeal and giggle.

Petey wanted desperately to get close and show dominance only to chicken out each time.

The poor turtle, which Hunter affectionately named Peepaw, couldn't figure out which way to go. Within thirty minutes of his mysterious appearance, the turtle made his way to the corner of the fence and crawled under in search of safety. Since the yard he chose is home to two, large German shepherds, I'm pretty sure he didn't stick around there for very long either.

Hunter was sad to see him go. However, he had a solution, "Mommom, let's tell dad to go get a new one at the pet store!" Let's just say we still don't have a replacement turtle!





3 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

that sounds a lot better than the coyote in our yard yesterday!!! i'm glad i didn't see it! i love the pic of you dog checking out peepaw!!! so cute!

Jennifer said...

So cute! I love the names kids come up with! We rescued our fair share of turtles from the side of the road when I was a kid. At least they didn't get close enough to find out if he was a snapping turtle!

Kimberlee said...

There is always an adventure in the Peterson household!
I think it is hysterical that Petey chickened out each time!