Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Insectarium

When the new insectarium opened in mid-June, Pete could hardly contain his excitement. Not being a big bug fan, I struggled to find a slight smile even thinking about such an outing; however, when the recent oil spill upset our initial plans and we needed a good alternative, what could be better than BUGS (at least according to Pete)!
The children were thrilled about going to see bugs, but I don't think they really knew what to expect. They loved the first exhibits of beetles and ants and such, but the life-size, underground replica complete with very large worms and a spider that popped out from the corner proved to be a little much for these two to handle. Though Hunter now loves to tell everyone about the big spider that popped out of the corner, he wasn't quite so thrilled with that spider upon first glance!

Check out these bugs!

So cool!
Wow!
Just prior to entering the underground section - Who knew such a surprise was just around the corner?

Hannah as a passenger in the child-friendly "beetle"

One reckless, two-year old driving the "beetle"

A see-through floor and scorpions!

One of our favorite parts - the butterfly section.

Inside the butterfly garden

The kids did have a good time; Pete left feeling slightly disappointed, apparently the bugs didn't live up to his expectations; I enjoyed the afternoon more than I expected.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooooo sounds like fun! You guys must have lots of cool museums in your neck of the woods!! I'm glad Pete got to explore with you guys!!!

The Schaper Scene said...

I was reading about "your" Insectarium in a magazine the other day....sounds like fun! Glad you had a good time!