Early Saturday morning, I was waiting on a friend to drop off two of her daughters so she could meet her husband at the hospital with their baby who was severely dehydrated. While she was on her way, Hunter and Petey were wrestling on the floor. Then came Hunter's commands for Petey to stop biting followed by loud screams (relatively common in our house right now).
I separated the two, put Petey in his cage and Hunter on the couch. I went to change Hannah's diaper only to hear Hunter screaming that he needed a band aid. My kids think band aids cure everything, even runny noses, so I wasn't too concerned. I returned to the family room to see Hunter with blood down the side of his face, on his hand, and his leg. A closer look revealed a relatively deep bite on his upper ear. I cleaned up the blood, put ice on his ear, and called the doctor's office (thank goodness for Saturday hours). They said bring him in, so my friend switched gears in mid-stream, took the girls to another friend's house, and we headed to the doctor.
The results: Because of the location of the bite, stitches weren't an option. They could glue it, but the doctor was worried about an increased risk of infection. They taped it to the best of their ability - the nurse wasn't really sure how to tape that part of the ear - gave him some antibiotics and sent us on our way. Odds are he'll have a little scar once it heals.
Hunter's was so good the whole time we were there; he didn't fuss at all! His only concern, "Everyone will laugh at me!" I quickly told him that no one would laugh at him, but everyone would want to know what happened. He has found that to be very true. I think he might even enjoy telling his story now. I guess every little guy eventually has a good scar story to tell! Hopefully this will be it for him.
An hour after we returned home, Hunter started throwing up; nothing to do with the dog bite, it seems he caught the same stomach virus that Hannah had earlier in the week. What a day!!
I separated the two, put Petey in his cage and Hunter on the couch. I went to change Hannah's diaper only to hear Hunter screaming that he needed a band aid. My kids think band aids cure everything, even runny noses, so I wasn't too concerned. I returned to the family room to see Hunter with blood down the side of his face, on his hand, and his leg. A closer look revealed a relatively deep bite on his upper ear. I cleaned up the blood, put ice on his ear, and called the doctor's office (thank goodness for Saturday hours). They said bring him in, so my friend switched gears in mid-stream, took the girls to another friend's house, and we headed to the doctor.
The results: Because of the location of the bite, stitches weren't an option. They could glue it, but the doctor was worried about an increased risk of infection. They taped it to the best of their ability - the nurse wasn't really sure how to tape that part of the ear - gave him some antibiotics and sent us on our way. Odds are he'll have a little scar once it heals.
Hunter's was so good the whole time we were there; he didn't fuss at all! His only concern, "Everyone will laugh at me!" I quickly told him that no one would laugh at him, but everyone would want to know what happened. He has found that to be very true. I think he might even enjoy telling his story now. I guess every little guy eventually has a good scar story to tell! Hopefully this will be it for him.
An hour after we returned home, Hunter started throwing up; nothing to do with the dog bite, it seems he caught the same stomach virus that Hannah had earlier in the week. What a day!!
It's in an awkward place, so this is the best we could do for a picture.
2 comments:
I hope your week is going much smoother!!! Normally the weekend is your down time! You may need the whole week to catch up from that weekend!
I hope he is feeling better!
Post a Comment