Though it's never easy to say goodbye, it's a process with which we are all too familiar! This time we weren't the ones moving, at least not yet (we anticipate orders/moving by this time next year). My sweet friend Chanin and her family readily said goodbye to New Orleans and hello to Orlando. Quite the trade! I feel sure we'll see them again in a few years time! The kids have to see Mickey at some point!
Chanin and I met at a MOPS meeting when Hannah was just three months old, and Chanin was three months pregnant with baby Jack. Chanin's daughter, Anna Kate had just turned three and even though Hunter was six months younger, the two played very well together. Over the last two years, we met for play dates whenever possible - factoring in daily routines, illness, and other activities made scheduling difficult, but we always enjoyed our time together.
Prior to their departure, we crammed in several play dates which were such fun for everyone; however, I'm sad to say that these fun outings set Hunter up for quite the disappointment. I guess I didn't think about having to explain Anna Kate's departure to Hunter. We went to the zoo and the aquarium before they left; then, the adventures with Anna Kate and Jack just abruptly ended. Hunter keeps asking to go play with Anna Kate; I keep telling him that she moved to a new house. Hunter then tells me that he wants a new house too. I try explaining that we aren't moving right now, and we end up back on the subject of wanting to play with Anna Kate. Tough stuff for a three year old!
All of this has made me realize how truly difficult this next move will be for us! This will be the first time we really have to explain things to the kids. When we left VA, we left sweet friends and a great church, but Hunter was only 19 months and Hannah was just 5 weeks; neither of them really had a clue as to what was happening. This time, it will be different. Hunter is keenly aware of his friends and very attached to his school and church. Something to think about!!
Chanin and I met at a MOPS meeting when Hannah was just three months old, and Chanin was three months pregnant with baby Jack. Chanin's daughter, Anna Kate had just turned three and even though Hunter was six months younger, the two played very well together. Over the last two years, we met for play dates whenever possible - factoring in daily routines, illness, and other activities made scheduling difficult, but we always enjoyed our time together.
Prior to their departure, we crammed in several play dates which were such fun for everyone; however, I'm sad to say that these fun outings set Hunter up for quite the disappointment. I guess I didn't think about having to explain Anna Kate's departure to Hunter. We went to the zoo and the aquarium before they left; then, the adventures with Anna Kate and Jack just abruptly ended. Hunter keeps asking to go play with Anna Kate; I keep telling him that she moved to a new house. Hunter then tells me that he wants a new house too. I try explaining that we aren't moving right now, and we end up back on the subject of wanting to play with Anna Kate. Tough stuff for a three year old!
All of this has made me realize how truly difficult this next move will be for us! This will be the first time we really have to explain things to the kids. When we left VA, we left sweet friends and a great church, but Hunter was only 19 months and Hannah was just 5 weeks; neither of them really had a clue as to what was happening. This time, it will be different. Hunter is keenly aware of his friends and very attached to his school and church. Something to think about!!
A look at our aquarium visit (Chanin and I both forgot the cameras at the zoo!):
Check out those fish!
All that work and she's clearly not impressed!
Our absolute, very favorite exhibit in the entire aquarium - NEMO!
1 comment:
I agree that "goodbyes" definitely are hard to explain to a 3 year old. Kylea had to say goodbye to her friends Kaley and Isabelle within about a month of eachother this summer. We pass by Isabelle's house on a daily basis which always starts her questions. At least she can see that there are different cars at their house, but I think that she thinks South Carolina is about as "way far away" as the mall is (which is the phrase I use when she wants to *walk* all the way to the mall instead of drive) and so she doesn't understand why we can't visit her every day. Such is the military life....and this is just the beginning for them.
Post a Comment