Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Two for One Deal?

If only doctors gave such a deal!

On Monday both kids will have outpatient surgery. Hannah's sedated hearing test revealed she had moderate, low-frequency hearing loss - consistent with fluid on her ears. The next step is a second set of tubes since the first set is completely out now. The doctor may decide to take her adenoids too; it just depends on what he sees once he gets in there.

The same day as Hannah's hearing test, Hunter had a pulmonology appt. He has coughed more often than not for the last year. We visited the pulmonologist last May for Hunter's cough. The only thing the doc saw then was enlarged tonsils. This year, Hunter had x-rays which showed enlarged tonsils and adenoids. Hunter coughs every six to eight weeks for four to six weeks. He never has any other symptoms and never runs a fever. We go to the doctor and he gets an antibiotic for a sinus infection and he gets better. The doctor thinks the drainage is trapped by his enlarged tonsils and adenoids thereby causing the cough. We're hoping the surgery will break this recurring pattern. Only time will tell!

Both kids will have surgery on Monday morning. I'll know the time at some point on Thursday afternoon. Next week should be loads of fun! We need to do the surgery now since we are moving at the end of July (that's another blog - coming soon). The ENT wants Hunter in town for at least two weeks. So, Monday it is!

Please pray for the kids and us as we experience all that next week has to offer. My mom is coming down to help too. I know it will take all of us to survive the first 48 hours. We can do it! It's just another step on our journey. Hopefully this will mean fewer trips to the doctor since we have to find a new pediatrician when we leave. I can't imagine finding one as great as the one we have here.

I'll let you know when we know more! Thanks for the prayers!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!! I hope everything went well!! Since I'm late in sending prayers for during the surgery I will send them for a quick recovery for both kids and for sanity for you!!!!! I hope it went well!!! Big hugs!