Monday, April 14, 2008

Fun with Dad and a Painful Lesson

Since Pete rarely has the chance to visit the zoo with us, we took advantage of some family time on Sunday and took the kids to see the animals. Both kids would willingly go everyday if we would take them. Hunter couldn't wait to show Dad the "new" sea lions - they aren't really new; they just returned a few months ago from their temporary home following Katrina, but Pete had not seen them which means they were new to him.


Clearly Hannah had the best seat of the day!

Hunter's frustration - we had to wait a few minutes for the sea lions to appear.

Hunter was obviously thrilled when they appeared. Notice that Hannah remained emotionless as she continued eating her animal cookies - nothing interrupts a good snack!

Hanging out inside a tree!

Louisiana is great for a lot of things and not-so-great for a lot of others. One of the not-so-great things is the mass population of caterpillars around this time of year. Some can be very, very dangerous. We've told Hunter not to touch them; he has never tried to before. But, Sunday was different. Apparently, he found the perfect caterpillar; before anyone could warn him otherwise, he touched it. Everyone standing near him, even total strangers, reacted with gasps and warnings after the fact. All of the commotion scared Hunter more than the caterpillar itself. The effects took a few minutes to appear, but within a few minutes it became very obvious that he had definitely made contact with the caterpillar. Thank goodness for cell phones! I called the dr's office and our very favorite nurse, Jan, was on call. She called us back immediately and told us what to do and what to watch for over the next 48 hours. We found the medical personnel at the zoo and began the process of pain management.

Luckily, the wound didn't get as bad as expected. Hunter says it doesn't hurt anymore and the swelling is starting to subside. Jan even called to check on Hunter today. Hunter was a champ through everything. Hopefully we learned a valuable lesson and won't play with the caterpillars anymore!

Hunter's bobo after the zoo's medical personnel put baking soda paste on his wound and bandaged him up!

6 comments:

The Schaper Scene said...

Poor Hunter! Kylea would probably survive OK down there because she is just like me......we don't touch bugs....period! I'm glad Pete was able to spend some time with them at the zoo. It is definitely a rare occasion when Steve gets to spend a day at the zoo with us.

Anonymous said...

I hope he is feeling better. Was it one of those black fuzzy ones? Steph always warns us about them, they are around here too. We see them everytime we treat the yard with that lawn spray. ICK!!!

Jen said...

Wow - Joe had to be rushed to the hospital as a baby for being bitten by a caterpillar. Nasty little suckers aren't they. Glad Daddy got to join in on the fun day!

Annelise & Ethan said...

I didn't know that caterpillars were dangerous. Glad I read your blog! I don't like bugs anyways but I will be sure to keep Annelise away from them.

Jennifer said...

Holy cow! I didn't know caterpillars were that dangerous - not all of them right??? Maybe they became dangerous in the past 15 years because I think I played with catterpillars when I was a kid. Must do research...boys like to touch things like that and I'm sure Corben won't be any different. :)

I'm glad Hunter is ok and didn't have too big of a reaction! That is so awesome that Pete was able to do something fun with you and the kidlets!! They are just way too cute and getting so big so quickly!!!

Heather J said...

Are you kidding me? Just a couple days ago we picked up a caterpillar and let Anderson hold it - YIKES! I had NOOOO idea. Now I'm really intrigued at what exactly happened....