Sunday marks three weeks since arriving at our new home. The transition has been fun at times and agonizing at other times. Hunter has transitioned very well while Hannah has been slow to adjust. Both kids still ask for their old house, friends, school, and church, but they are slowly accepting life here. I've tried to find fun things to entertain the kids and re-establish a schedule for us.
The children began preschool on Friday. Hunter couldn't wait to start school and Hannah wanted no part of going to school. She seemed okay Thursday night and did fine Friday morning until we arrived in the parking lot; she then decided she WAS NOT going inside. She did go inside and didn't cry when I left her. That was a huge step for her since she has cried about almost everything since we moved here.
I have recovered from my initial shock at all the differences in preschool. I'm not sure how I feel about the school, but I am optimistic that the kids enjoyed themselves on Friday. I'm struggling with several issues right now, and I have spent a lot of extra money on required items for the children that no one bothered to mention when we initially registered. The children had to have new bags (no backpacks allowed) and new shoes (no open toe shoes or any type of crocs) among other things. At orientation, one teacher felt compelled to share that any parent later than one half hour after school is considered guilty of child abandonment. Though I have never been late picking up the kids, I found her comments surprising. Hunter's class cannot celebrate birthdays at school. The teacher finds it too difficult. She has other ways to allow the children different special days but not on their birthdays. I have learned that I am not the only parent who is a little frustrated. This transition would have been much simpler had I received a copy of the handbook/policies upon registration vice waiting until three days before school begins. What's done is done and we can only move forward.
On the positive side, we have great neighbors with lots of children. Unfortunately, Hunter's best buddy is moving in two weeks - the downside of military life. Both kids are getting lots of bike riding time. Petey absolutely loves being outside with everyone. So far, this is a great family place.
Pete is still settling in at work and trying to learn what his new role entails. He is hoping to have a better understanding of things this week.
We are still searching for a church home. Church hunting has to be one of the most difficult parts of moving. It's especially hard on the kids.
I'll try to post pics from the last few days soon.
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love to hear about the journey of others as they establish themselves in a new environment. You have such a good attitude about the school. It's hard not to question those big things when the list of "aargh's" start adding up. The boys have found some neighbor friends too that love to be outside. I can hear them play on the big rock in the yard below us through the open windows. Blissful. Even though we have a church to attend (directly connected to the residency Doug is in), it's been wild and fun to observe as a newcomer. Today was promotion sunday so now everyone is settled into their classes for the year. It's taken us almost 20 minutes to get them all to their classes every Sunday ... very different from them all walking to their own classes and everyone knowing us. ;) Miss you. Found a mops yet?
Post a Comment