Tuesday, October 28, 2008

You Have to Be Kidding Me

Every once in a while, I have one of those "you have to be kidding me" moments - today I had one amazing moment!

Today was a normal day, until noon. Hunter had speech therapy at 9:30, then when stopped by the mall to look for Hannah a few things. We ate lunch and headed home for naps before the kids' afternoon appointments with the dentist. Hannah fell asleep in the car; I carried her in, put her in bed, and prepared to put Hunter to bed. Hunter said he didn't feel well. He went to the bathroom, threw-up several times, and decided to lie down on the couch and rest.

While he was resting, I called the dentist to say we would not be able to make our appointment because Hunter apparently caught the stomach bug that's been circulating through the preschool. The woman on the phone told me that I would owe them $65 if I did not show up for the appointment this afternoon. Again, I tried to explain Hunter's current condition to which she said, "Well, we can give him a bucket."
Oh my goodness!!! Are you kidding me?

No, she was most certainly NOT kidding me. Either I was going to pay them $65 or we were going to the dentist. This goes against everything I believe but I don't exactly have an extra 65 bucks lying around either! I was so taken aback by her comment that I didn't have a clue how to respond. So, off we went to the dentist's office.

I must confess, I was hoping for a complete disaster because I just couldn't believe how absurd this trip seemed. Luckily, the dentist is less than five minutes from our house. Hunter was an amazing patient. He let them clean his teeth and do the flouride treatment; Hannah was equally wonderful! She let them check her teeth and clean them too. Hunter managed to wait until we returned home to continue his throwing-up.

He ended up falling asleep in his room shortly after we returned. You know if Hunter voluntarily takes a nap, something is wrong!

I have no clue why he is sleeping with a cooking spoon!

He seemed much better when he went to bed tonight. Hopefully, he'll sleep well and continue to feel better tomorrow.

Now, I am off to write the letter to the dentist that has been running through my head since mid-afternoon! Even though we don't have a long time left in New Orleans, we won't be returning to that office except to retrieve medical records:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is crazy!!! I wish he would have thrown up right on that secretary! Make sure you include her name in the letter.
When I was in my accident last year, the kids had dentist appts while I was still in the hospital. My Mom had to call and cancel the appts the day of. The dentist does have that policy if you cancel within 24 hrs they may charge you, but they make exceptions!!!!! I did not have to pay.
Hope Hunter is feeling better!

Jen said...

That is quite absurd - I too would write a letter about that. Where are ya'll headed next?

Heather J said...

Atta girl - I was hoping somewhere in this post there would be some mention of giving the dentist a piece of your mind about the ridiculous policy. Hope little man is feeling better!!!

Jennifer said...

I'd say a letter is definately in order. That's nuts!!! I hope Hunter went and gave the receptionist/appointment person a big hug. Seems like maybe the office should revise their policy a bit...

Most importantly though I hope Hunter is feeling back to his old self!!

Kimberlee said...

You have been tagged!!! Take a look at my blog to see what it is all about!